Past Simple vs Past Perfect - answers
- After we discussed / had discussed it on the phone, I wrote him an email about it.
- Before we took Bob to the theatre, he had never seen a stage play before.
- By the time we arrived, the football match had finished.
- He promised / had promised to do the job in an hour, but he still hadn’t finished by 7 o’clock.
- I had just cleaned the carpet when the dog came in and shook himself.
- By the time I arrived, the concert had finished.
- I rang the shop as soon as I checked / had checked the contents of the box.
- They locked / had locked the door before I got there.
- We had a good rest when our guests had all left.
- When she rang the office this morning, Tom had already gone out.
© 2013 Focus English School